The Shakespeare Conference: SHK 23.035 Tuesday, 31 January 2012
Date: January 30, 2012 5:09:13 PM EST
Subject: Pacific Northwest Renaissance Studies October 18-21, 2012
CFP: Renaissance Translation and Transmission (October 18-21, 2012)
The Pacific Northwest Renaissance Society
The Pacific Northwest Renaissance Society invites papers examining all aspects of translation and transmission in and of the Renaissance for its conference to be held from October 18th to 21st, 2012 in Abbotsford, British Columbia, sponsored by the University of the Fraser Valley. Papers might consider, for instance,
- the art / practice of textual translation and transmission in the Renaissance
- cross-cultural communication in the Renaissance
- “translation” between and across genres and media (theatre, visual arts, music, literature, etc.) and across specialized discourses (for instance from the medical to the political)
- the political and ethical implications of translation in and of the early modern period
- endangered languages and translation in the Renaissance
- physical acts of translation, such as the remaking of new clothes from old clothes, or other forms of material translation / “carrying across” or transformation
- the "translation" and “transmission” of early modern texts in manuscript, print and electronic media from the late sixteenth-century onward
- translating, transmitting, and teaching the Renaissance in the (post)modern classroom
- diaspora and translation in the early modern period
- “translating” and/or “transmitting” the Renaissance in the digital age
- the untranslatable Renaissance/early modern untranslatabilty
- mistranslation in (and of) the Renaissance
- translation and interpretive authority in the Renaissance
Multi-media presentations and traditional papers in the fine arts, the humanities, and the social sciences are encouraged.
Abstracts for individual papers and proposals for three-paper panels are invited.
Abstracts should run 250 words for papers of 20-minute delivery length.
Panel proposals must include abstracts for all three papers.
Deadline: July 15, 2012
Acceptances will be sent by August 15, 2012.
Submissions should be sent to:
UFV Department of English
33844 King Road
For more information see: www.pnrs.org