Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 1, No. 90. Monday, 5 Nov 1990.
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 90 19:30:00 EST
From: "Hardy M. Cook" <
Subject: Information about "Voodoo" MACBETH
A colleague of mine is researching the 1936 "Voodoo" *Macbeth*; he has
searched the Lincoln Center archives and is presently going through the
materials at the Fenwick Library at George Mason University. He is
particularly interested in the following:
* the reception of the production afforded by the New York
* the comments of Orson Welles, the director, regarding the
above and his motive for casting blacks;
* the reactions of others to the production;
* possible revisions of original opinions by theatre critics
of the time; and
* governmental comments and reactions.
If anyone can help him, please contact me by e-mail (
or write to Elliott Moffitt, Department of Humanities and Fine Arts, Bowie
State University, Bowie, Maryland 20715.