1991

1992 SAA in Kansas City

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 2, No. 52. Saturday, 16 Feb 1991.

Date:         Sat, 16 Feb 91 10:13:55 EST
From:         Ken Steele <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject:      1992 SAA Conference

[In response to a number of queries from SHAKSPEReans, I reproduce
here an announcement from the January 1991 Bulletin of the Shakespeare
Association of America (14:1).  KS]

1992 SAA Meeting Plans:

The annual meeting for 1992 will be held in Kansas City on 16-18 April
1992 at the Ritz Carlton Hotel.

It is the custom of the Association to vary the locations of the annual
meetings.  To reflect the distribution of the membership, the Trustees
try to arrange that we meet (generally speaking) twice in the east for
every once in each of the midwest and west; attention is given to
ensuring that Canada is not neglected.  However, the selection of sites
is not easy.  The Executive Director has to negotiate contracts with hotels
at least eighteen months in advance, and so she must have the Trustees'
approval of the prospective city (or cities) two years ahead.  Moreover,
the initial selection of the city is dependent on the identification of
some member who is ready to commit him/herself to coordinating the local
arrangements -- in effect to inviting the Association to visit.

...The SAA tries as far as possible to avoid holding meetings on religious
holidays.  However, in some cities it is only on the Easter weekend that
hotel rates are reasonable.  Unfortunately the meeting in Kansas City
coincides with both Easter and Passover.  The Executive Director was
unable to negotiate an affordable contract on any other weekend, at any other
hotel, and no alternative site was available.  The Trustees regret any
inconvenience to members.

I have been asked by a number of members to note that we would welcome
invitations to warmer climates.

-- copy submitted by Michael Warren

Brazilian Spinoff (Cont'd)

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 2, No. 51. Friday, 15 Feb 1991.

Date:   Fri, 15 Feb 91 14:35:00 EST
From:   <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: 2.0042  Brazilian Spinoff (Cont'd)
Comment: Re: SHK 2.0042  Brazilian Spinoff (Cont'd)

Alas, I cannot find my copy of Dom Casmurro, so I can't really
explain the Othello connection.  Let me just say that the translator of
the book into English (is it Helen Gardner?) mentions that Machado de
Assis uses Othello as a kind of sub-text, and, indeed, she wrote a
scholarly book on the topic, which I've read... Tell you what, when
I'm back in my office next week I'll look it up and report back.
     As for other spinoffs, why hasn't anybody mentioned Shakespeare
in opera?  And (still farther removed) Anna Russell's spook of Italian
operas based on Shakespeare plays, "Hamletto."   Her delivery of the
line, "Ecco! Il Spook!" is dazzling, and her commentary on Ophelia is
a masterpiece of bathetic timing.

-- Kevin Berland

SAA Vancouver Attendees

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 2, No. 49. Thursday, 14 Feb 1991.

(1)   Date:   Wed, 13 Feb 91 23:27:33 EST                    (18 lines)
      From:   Nicholas Ranson <R1NR@AKRONVM>
      Subject:      Re: SHK 2.0047  Shakespeare Association Conferences

(2)   Date:   Thu, 14 Feb 91 01:00:46 EST                    (13 lines)
      From:   Fritz Levy <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
      Subject: Re: SHK 2.0047  Shakespeare Association Conferences

(3)   Date:         Thu, 14 Feb 91 16:27:29 EST              (22 lines)
      Subject:      SAA Attendees

(1) --------------------------------------------------------------------
Date:   Wed, 13 Feb 91 23:27:33 EST
From:   Nicholas Ranson <R1NR@AKRONVM>
Subject: 2.0047  Shakespeare Association Conferences
Comment:      Re: SHK 2.0047  Shakespeare Association Conferences

I will be going to Vancouver with two colleagues from Akron, travelling
March 20, returning March 24.  I shall be in the Teaching Editions of
Shakespeare seminar, and I will send [SHAKSPER] a copy of the
"position paper" which is being distributed to our group now; if you
wish, you can excerpt bits or send it all out, with the reminder,
I think, that it is incomplete, thinking aloud and vulgarly over-
stated; however, it mentions SHAKSPER, which is some sort of publicity.

Let us post a notice about rooms, hotels, etc, when we get there.
It also occurs to me that people could share rooms to reduce cost;
I am doing that with a colleague, and that's a saving of over $200.

Cheers!

(2) --------------------------------------------------------------39----
Date:   Thu, 14 Feb 91 01:00:46 EST
Subject: 2.0047  Shakespeare Association Conferences
Comment: Re: SHK 2.0047  Shakespeare Association Conferences

I plan to be in Vancouver (staying at the Sylvia) for the SAA
meeting--I'm chairing a seminar on history plays and historiography.
I'll also be at the Tokyo meeting (as commentator in a session being
chaired by Richard McCoy); plans for that are still indefinite.

[ . . . ]

Fritz Levy

(3) --------------------------------------------------------------25----
Date:         Thu, 14 Feb 91 16:27:29 EST
Subject:      SAA Attendees

My apologies to Professors Ranson and Levy if I have misinterpreted
personal mail as public, but I believe that they raise some interesting
ideas and offer valuable information which will be of interest to the
entire conference.

If it is not too late, perhaps we should think about arranging room-
sharing (although I had to reserve some time ago).  Is anyone else
out there participating in a session or giving a paper?  We won't
make you submit it in electronic form, simply because you advise us
of your role, but I think we'll all get more out of the conference
(and meet more of each other) if we know where who will be when.
(Of course, you'rre still more than welcome to submit the papers
if you can...)

Yours,

Ken Steele
                                        University of Toronto

SAA Vancouver Attendees

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 2, No. 50. Friday, 15 Feb 1991.

(1)   Date:   Thu, 14 Feb 91 22:08:00 EST                    (17 lines)
      From:   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (Laurie E. Osborne)
      Subject: SAA

(2)   Date:   Fri, 15 Feb 91 11:16:00 EST                    (18 lines)
      From:   <COX@HOPE>
      Subject:  SAA meeting in Vancouver

(1) --------------------------------------------------------------------
Date:   Thu, 14 Feb 91 22:08:00 EST
Subject: SAA

I am planning on attending SAA this year. I've just finished a paper for the
"Screening Shakespeare" seminar on the video edition of Twelfth Night. This
will, of course, come as no surprise to SHAKSPEReans. I'd be happy to get
together in Vancouver for some sort of informal do. I'll try to send my
paper, rough though it is. My delinquency in producing papers for the network
has more to do with the unwieldy manoueuvers necessary to get my wordprocessed
texts into a form that can go out over the network at school. See you in
Vancouver.

Laurie E. Osborne

(2) --------------------------------------------------------------31----
Date:   Fri, 15 Feb 91 11:16:00 EST
From:   <COX@HOPE>
Subject:  SAA meeting in Vancouver

My "reply" function isn't working for some reason, but I am in fact reply-
ing to recent messages about the SAA meeting in Vancouver, and specifically
about sharing a room.  I had arranged to share a room with someone who has
just decided not to go, but I would still like to save the considerable
extra cost of a single room.  Anyone interested?  I've called people who are
involved in the same seminar I am (Shakespeare and the English Church) but
without success.  I don't smoke, and I don't stay up late watching television
or listening to loud music.  I have a reservation form at the Four Seasons,
but I'm not committed to that hotel if someone has a preferred alternative.
Please call at 616-394-7612 (office) or 616-392-2986 (home).

John Cox
Hope College

Shakespearean Spinoffs - Film

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 2, No. 48. Thursday, 14 Feb 1991.

Date:   Thu, 14 Feb 91 11:13:02 EST
From:   "Me (Beth Christopher)" <C464497@UMCVMB>
Subject: 2.0046  Shakespearean Spinoffs
Comment:      Re: SHK 2.0046  Shakespearean Spinoffs

Speaking of movies with scenes from Shakespeare, I went to see "Jesus
of Montreal".  It is a wonderful movie, done in French with subtitles,
and there is this wonderful adaptation of Hamlet's "To Be" speech that
works quiet well where they placed it.

Beth Christopher