Make a Donation

Consider making a donation to support SHAKSPER.

Subscribe to Our Feeds

Current Postings RSS

Announcements RSS

Home :: Archive :: 1992 :: March ::
Rs: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"
Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 3, No. 44. Wednesday, 4 Mar 1992.
 
	[Ed. Note: My apologies for the unplanned hiatus in SHAKSPER mailings:
	my TELNET account at McMaster unexpectedly expired on March 1,
	and I am still attempting to re-establish my network connection.
	Hopefully things will shortly return to normal; in the
	meantime, I will edit the list whenever I can access an
	on-campus terminal in Toronto.  -- k.s.]
 
(1)	From: 	rabrams@portland.bitnet
	Date: 	Fri, 28 Feb 1992 18:44:03 -0500
	Subj: 	["Gentle Peace"]
 
(2)	Date:  	Fri, 28 Feb 92 22:16:21 EST
	From: 	Antonia Forster <R1AMF%
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 >
	Subj:   Re: SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
	
(3)	Date: 	Sat, 29 Feb 1992 02:22:00 -0500
	From: 	Balz Engler <
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 >
	Subj: 	SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
 
(4)	Date: 	Sat, 29 Feb 1992 22:12:46 EST
	From: 	
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  (Hardy M. Cook)
	Subj: 	R: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"
 
(5)	Date: 	Mon, 2 Mar 1992 05:53:00 -0500
	From: 	ELI16@FRMOP22.BITNET
	Subj: 	Re: SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
 
(6)	Date:   Tue, 03 Mar 92 12:00:21 EST
	From: 	Nicholas Ranson <R1NR%
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 >
	Subj:   Re: SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
 
(7)	Date: 	Wed, 4 Mar 92 09:50:22 -0500
	From: 	
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  (Thomas G. Bishop)
	Subj: 	"gentle peace"
 
(1)-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
From: 		rabrams%portland.bitnet@utcs
Date: 		Fri, 28 Feb 1992 18:44:03 -0500
Subject: 	["Gentle Peace"]
 
This is only a guess, but the rhythms remind me of "that eternity prom-
ised by our everliving poet."
                             rick abrams
 
(2)--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Date:         	Fri, 28 Feb 92 22:16:21 EST
From: 		Antonia Forster <R1AMF%
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 >
Subject: 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
Comment:      	Re: SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
 
Henry VIII II, ii, 445 (Riverside): "Still in thy right hand
carry gentle peace / To silence envious tongues"
                           Antonia Forster
 
(3)--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Date: 		Sat, 29 Feb 1992 02:22:00 -0500
From: 		Balz Engler <
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 >
Subject: Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
Comment: 	SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
 
The reference is obviously to *Henry VIII* III.2.445 (Riverside).
Still in thy right hand carry gentle peace
To silence envious tongues.
 
Balz Engler, Basel University

 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 
 
(4)--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Date: 		Sat, 29 Feb 1992 22:12:46 EST
From: 		
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  (Hardy M. Cook)
Subject: 	R: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"
 
I consulted the Riverside on WordCruncher to see if I could find the
allusion from a Beckett story, " . . . his right hand, innocent of
any more mercantile commodity than that 'gentle peace' recommended
by the immortal Shakespeare," that Steve Urkowitz asked about.  What
I found was that the allusion is to Wolsey's "naked to mine enemies"
speech from *Henry VIII.*
 
Here is the complete speech:
 
      <Wol.> Cromwell, I did not think to shed a tear
    In all my miseries; but thou hast forc'd me
    (Out of thy honest truth) to play the woman.
    Let's dry our eyes; and thus far hear me, Cromwell,
    And when I am forgotten, as I shall be,
    And sleep in dull cold marble where no mention
    Of me more must be heard of, say I taught thee;
    Say Wolsey, that once trod the ways of glory,
    And sounded all the depths and shoals of honor,
    Found thee a way, out of his wrack, to rise in;
    A sure and safe one, though thy master miss'd it.
    Mark but my fall, and that that ruin'd me:
    Cromwell, I charge thee, fling away ambition!
    By that sin fell the angels; how can man then
    (The image of his Maker) hope to win by it?
    Love thyself last, cherish those hearts that hate thee;
    Corruption wins not more than honesty.
    Still in thy right hand carry gentle peace
    To silence envious tongues. Be just, and fear not;
    Let all the ends thou aim'st at be thy country's,
    Thy God's, and truth's; then if thou fall'st, O Cromwell,
    Thou fall'st a blessed martyr!
    Serve the King, and  --  prithee lead me in.
    There take an inventory of all I have,
    To the last penny, 'tis the King's. My robe,
    And my integrity to heaven, is all
    I dare now call mine own. O Cromwell, Cromwell,
    Had I but serv'd my God with half the zeal
    I serv'd my king, He would not in mine age
    Have left me naked to mine enemies.
    	(Life King Henry VIII III-II:428-457)
 
 
						Hardy M. Cook
						Bowie State University
 
(5)--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Date: 		Mon, 2 Mar 1992 05:53:00 -0500
From: 		ELI16@FRMOP22.BITNET
Subject: 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
Comment: 	Re: SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
 
REPLY TO STEVE URKOWITZ ON 'GENTLE PEACE', FROM LUC BOROT:
Perhaps it may be an alteration from Portia's "gentle rain from
heaven" (i.e. mercy) in Merchant of Venice?
 
(6)-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Date:         	Tue, 03 Mar 92 12:00:21 EST
From: 		Nicholas Ranson <R1NR%
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 >
Subject: 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
Comment:      	Re: SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
 
Two sources might be considered. 1) King John 2.1.586: Bastard: "From a
resolv'd and honorable war / To a most base and vile-concluded peace. /
And why rail I on this commodity?   2) Henry 8 3.2.435: Wolsey: Still in thy
right hand carry gentle peace / To silence envious tongues. Be just, and fear
not; (etc)
 
Perhaps this is a displaced memory from Beckett.  There is only one use of the
couplet "gentle peace" in Sh. that I can see.  Cheers. NR.
 
(7)--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Date: 		Wed, 4 Mar 92 09:50:22 -0500
From: 		
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  (Thomas G. Bishop)
Subject: 	"gentle peace"
 
As I have deleted the message with this query on it directly I must reply
in general. The allusion in question is probably to Burgundy's speech in
Act 5 of Henry V (line 65 of scene 2).
   I happened to be showing Branagh's film to my class MOnday night, after
the query on SHAKSPER. Lo and behold there it was. These things happen. What
particular game old Samuel B was playing with it I know not. Perhaps the
questioner could supply us with the name of the story, so we can check for
ourselves.
 
All the best,
Tom Bishop
 
--
Tom Bishop                         "When I was at home I was in a better place,
Dept of English                     but travellers must be content."
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH 44106.  (
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 )
 

Other Messages In This Thread

©2011 Hardy Cook. All rights reserved.