1992

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 3, No. 44. Wednesday, 4 Mar 1992.

[Ed. Note: My apologies for the unplanned hiatus in SHAKSPER mailings:
	my TELNET account at McMaster unexpectedly expired on March 1,
	and I am still attempting to re-establish my network connection.
	Hopefully things will shortly return to normal; in the
	meantime, I will edit the list whenever I can access an
	on-campus terminal in Toronto.  -- k.s.]

(1)	From: 	This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
	Date: 	Fri, 28 Feb 1992 18:44:03 -0500
	Subj: 	["Gentle Peace"]

(2)	Date:  	Fri, 28 Feb 92 22:16:21 EST
	From: 	Antonia Forster <R1AMF%This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
	Subj:   Re: SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?

(3)	Date: 	Sat, 29 Feb 1992 02:22:00 -0500
	From: 	Balz Engler <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
	Subj: 	SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?

(4)	Date: 	Sat, 29 Feb 1992 22:12:46 EST
	From: 	This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (Hardy M. Cook)
	Subj: 	R: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"

(5)	Date: 	Mon, 2 Mar 1992 05:53:00 -0500
	Subj: 	Re: SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?

(6)	Date:   Tue, 03 Mar 92 12:00:21 EST
	From: 	Nicholas Ranson <R1NR%This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
	Subj:   Re: SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?

(7)	Date: 	Wed, 4 Mar 92 09:50:22 -0500
	From: 	This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (Thomas G. Bishop)
	Subj: 	"gentle peace"

(1)-------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: 		rabrams%portland.bitnet@utcs
Date: 		Fri, 28 Feb 1992 18:44:03 -0500
Subject: 	["Gentle Peace"]

This is only a guess, but the rhythms remind me of "that eternity prom-
ised by our everliving poet."
                             rick abrams

(2)--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:         	Fri, 28 Feb 92 22:16:21 EST
From: 		Antonia Forster <R1AMF%This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
Comment:      	Re: SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?

Henry VIII II, ii, 445 (Riverside): "Still in thy right hand
carry gentle peace / To silence envious tongues"
                           Antonia Forster

(3)--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 		Sat, 29 Feb 1992 02:22:00 -0500
From: 		Balz Engler <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
Comment: 	SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?

The reference is obviously to *Henry VIII* III.2.445 (Riverside).
Still in thy right hand carry gentle peace
To silence envious tongues.

Balz Engler, Basel University

(4)--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 		Sat, 29 Feb 1992 22:12:46 EST
From: 		This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (Hardy M. Cook)
Subject: 	R: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"

I consulted the Riverside on WordCruncher to see if I could find the
allusion from a Beckett story, " . . . his right hand, innocent of
any more mercantile commodity than that 'gentle peace' recommended
by the immortal Shakespeare," that Steve Urkowitz asked about.  What
I found was that the allusion is to Wolsey's "naked to mine enemies"
speech from *Henry VIII.*

Here is the complete speech:

<Wol.> Cromwell, I did not think to shed a tear
    In all my miseries; but thou hast forc'd me
    (Out of thy honest truth) to play the woman.
    Let's dry our eyes; and thus far hear me, Cromwell,
    And when I am forgotten, as I shall be,
    And sleep in dull cold marble where no mention
    Of me more must be heard of, say I taught thee;
    Say Wolsey, that once trod the ways of glory,
    And sounded all the depths and shoals of honor,
    Found thee a way, out of his wrack, to rise in;
    A sure and safe one, though thy master miss'd it.
    Mark but my fall, and that that ruin'd me:
    Cromwell, I charge thee, fling away ambition!
    By that sin fell the angels; how can man then
    (The image of his Maker) hope to win by it?
    Love thyself last, cherish those hearts that hate thee;
    Corruption wins not more than honesty.
    Still in thy right hand carry gentle peace
    To silence envious tongues. Be just, and fear not;
    Let all the ends thou aim'st at be thy country's,
    Thy God's, and truth's; then if thou fall'st, O Cromwell,
    Thou fall'st a blessed martyr!
    Serve the King, and  --  prithee lead me in.
    There take an inventory of all I have,
    To the last penny, 'tis the King's. My robe,
    And my integrity to heaven, is all
    I dare now call mine own. O Cromwell, Cromwell,
    Had I but serv'd my God with half the zeal
    I serv'd my king, He would not in mine age
    Have left me naked to mine enemies.
    	(Life King Henry VIII III-II:428-457)

Hardy M. Cook
						Bowie State University

(5)--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 		Mon, 2 Mar 1992 05:53:00 -0500
Subject: 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
Comment: 	Re: SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?

REPLY TO STEVE URKOWITZ ON 'GENTLE PEACE', FROM LUC BOROT:
Perhaps it may be an alteration from Portia's "gentle rain from
heaven" (i.e. mercy) in Merchant of Venice?

(6)-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:         	Tue, 03 Mar 92 12:00:21 EST
From: 		Nicholas Ranson <R1NR%This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?
Comment:      	Re: SHK 3.0042  Q: Beckett & Shakespeare's "Gentle Peace"?

Two sources might be considered. 1) King John 2.1.586: Bastard: "From a
resolv'd and honorable war / To a most base and vile-concluded peace. /
And why rail I on this commodity?   2) Henry 8 3.2.435: Wolsey: Still in thy
right hand carry gentle peace / To silence envious tongues. Be just, and fear
not; (etc)

Perhaps this is a displaced memory from Beckett.  There is only one use of the
couplet "gentle peace" in Sh. that I can see.  Cheers. NR.

(7)--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 		Wed, 4 Mar 92 09:50:22 -0500
From: 		This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (Thomas G. Bishop)
Subject: 	"gentle peace"

As I have deleted the message with this query on it directly I must reply
in general. The allusion in question is probably to Burgundy's speech in
Act 5 of Henry V (line 65 of scene 2).
   I happened to be showing Branagh's film to my class MOnday night, after
the query on SHAKSPER. Lo and behold there it was. These things happen. What
particular game old Samuel B was playing with it I know not. Perhaps the
questioner could supply us with the name of the story, so we can check for
ourselves.

All the best,
Tom Bishop

Tom Bishop                         "When I was at home I was in a better place,
Dept of English                     but travellers must be content."
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH 44106.  (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)

Search