Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 3, No. 146. Sunday, 21 June 1992.
From: Linda Simons <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sunday, June 21, 1992, 17:31:00 -0400
Subject: Shakespeare Gardens
Here is a list of additional Shakespeare gardens. (My apologies if some
of these have appeared in previous messages.)
1. Shakespeare Garden in Cedar Brook Park, Plainfield, N.J.
2. Brooklyn Botanic Garden
3. Shakespeare Garden in Central Park, west of Belvedere Castle at 79th St.
4. Shakespeare Garden at the Folger Library in Washington, D.C.
5. Shakespeare Garden at the Mayflower Inn, Route 47 between Route 199
and Route 6 in Washington, Connecticut. (This is a restaurant with
gardens on the grounds.)
6. Shakespeare Garden in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco.
7. Shakespeare Garden at Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois
8. Shakespeare Garden at Hofstra University, Hempstead, N.Y.
9. Shakespeare Garden at Botanica, the Wichita Gardens, Wichita, Kansas.
10. Shakespeare Garden in Davenport Park, New Rochelle, N.Y.
11. Shakespeare Garden at Caprilands Herb Farm, 534 Silver Street, Coventry,
Connecticut, between Manchester and Willmantic, just off Route 44.
12. Shakespeare Gardens in Ellis Park, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
13. Shakespeare Garden at the American Shakespeare Theater, Stratford,
For those interested in planting their own garden, two publications may be
Damrosch, Barbara. *Theme Gardens*. Workman Publishing, 1982. (Includes a
plan for a Shakespeare Garden)
Brooklyn Botanic Garden. *William Shakespeare Through His Gardens and
Plants*. Available from the Booklyn Botanic Garden Gift Shop,
1000 Washington Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11225. (My source says
this is $2.75 by mail, but since the source is dated 1986, one
might wish to call and verify the price.)
Finally, an article in the June 2, 1980, *New York Times* claims that some
thirty Shakespeare gardens flourish throughout the United States, often on
college campuses, but it unfortunately does not list any. The article
describes the Central Park and Brooklyn gardens.
University of Dayton