1993

Re: Undergraduate Research at the Folger Library

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 169.  Monday, 15 March 1993.

From:           Vint Cerf <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Saturday, 13 Mar 93 15:51 GMT
Subject: 4.0165  R: Undergraduate Research at the Folger Library
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0165  R: Undergraduate Research at the Folger Library

I faxed the earlier query about the Folger/Undergraduate support this morning
to Tom McCance, the development Director and I am sure he will forward to
Peggy. There is at least one person at the Folger reading the SHAKSPER list, I
believe (but I am not sure who).  The Folger has a very good record of
outreach, so I am optimistic they will find a way to be helpful.

Vint Cerf

Re: The Real Duncan

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 168.  Saturday, 13 March 1993.

From:           John Gouws <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Saturday, 13 Mar 1993 15:54:00 +0200 (EET)
Subject: 4.0164  The Real Duncan
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0164  The Real Duncan

Christoppher Johnson writes:
> Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 164.  Saturday, 13 March 1993.
> From:           Christoppher Johnston <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
> Date:           Friday, 12 Mar 93 23:14:52 EST
> Subject:        The Real Duncan
> >
> > The idea that Duncan was a super-virtuous king is one that I have been told
> > is not (by some interpretations of the sources) accurate - any comments
> > anyone?
> >
You could look at David Norbrook's very helpful "_Macbeth_ and the
Poltics of Historiography" in _Politics of Discourse_, ed. Kevin Sharpe
and Steven N Zwicker (Berkeley, 1987), pp.78-116.

John Gouws - Department of English - Rhodes University
   Internet: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  Telephone: (0461) 22023 xt 402

Re: Undergraduate Research at Folger Library

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 166.  Saturday, 13 March 1993.

From:           Bernice W. Kliman <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Saturday, 13 Mar 1993 08:17 EDT
Subject: 4.0162  Q: Folger Library: Undergraduate Research
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0162  Q: Folger Library: Undergraduate Research

Since Georgianna Ziegler is on this list, I am sure you'll hear from her.
Under the capable leadership of Peggy O'Brien, the Folger has a deep and
rich program for teachers and students through 12th grade. Last time I was
there, hoards of students were there in the great hall and theater but not in
the library itself. The Folger as you may have heard has recently received
a large grant to expand its public programs, including those for school
children.

I'll be there on Monday; let me know by Sunday night whether I can look into
anything for you.

Yours,

Bernice W. Kliman

Re: UVa Electronic Text Center

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 167.  Saturday, 13 March 1993.

From:           Steve Urkowitz <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Saturday, 13 Mar 93 08:12:46 EST
Subject: 4.0161  Re: UVa Electronic Text Center
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0161  Re: UVa Electronic Text Center

Writing from City College, one end of the original BITNET connection linking
CCNY and YALE (so I've been told), I began giggling and Santa-Claus-dreaming
about the games one could play with the UVa system.  The exquisite labors of
community-building, funding, training, and actively applauding of
accomplishments that David Gants exhibits in his description should be a model
held up to all of our local librarians and local computer services folks.  Now
we can hope that the new guys in Washington hear about these possibilities.
The idea of a post office worked such a revolution, as did the idea of the
easy-access public and university library.  The basic drives seem to be a
spirit of generosity and a commitment to free exploration of possibilities.
Hey, sounds like art.

I'll be forwarding your description of the UVa system to my campus friends.

Cheers!
                                        Steve Urkowitz,  SURCC@CUNYVM

R: Undergraduate Research at the Folger Library

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 165.  Saturday, 13 March 1993.

From:           NAOMI LIEBLER <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Friday, 12 Mar 93 23:54:00 EST
Subject: 4.0162  Q: Folger Library: Undergraduate Research
Comment:        RE: SHK 4.0162  Q: Folger Library: Undergraduate Research

To Howell Chickering and others similarly interested:

You should get in touch with Peggy O'Brien at the Folger. I don't know what her
formal title is there, but I do know that her commitment to the Folger's
education outreach is very strong. She's done splendid things there with and
for secondary-school students, and I imagine she'd be the best one to help you
with stuff for your undergraduates. I don't know whether she's on the SHAKSPER
network (I don't recall seeing her name listed) but snail-mail will reach her,
as will a phone call to the Folger. Good luck.

--Naomi Liebler