1993

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 14.  Friday, 8 January 1993.

(1)     From:   Laurie E. Osborne <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Friday, 8 Jan 93 10:50:41 -0500
        Subj:   Re:  SHK 4.0013  Q: Video Copyrights

(2)     From:   James Anderson <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Friday, 08 Jan 1993 10:14:14 CST
        Subj:   RE: SHK 3.0316  Taming of the Shrew in Film and Television

(3)     From:   John Cox <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Friday, 8 Jan 1993 14:29 EST
        Subj:   Re: SHK 4.0013  Q: Video Copyrights

(1)---------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:           Laurie E. Osborne <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Friday, 8 Jan 93 10:50:41 -0500
Subject: 4.0013  Q: Video Copyrights
Comment:        Re:  SHK 4.0013  Q: Video Copyrights

A related question in a bottle. For those of you who have not heard about this
yet, Home Box Office has been showing half hour animated Shakespeare plays
made, I believe, in Russia. Since I am working on *Twelfth Night* on film, I
would like to get hold of a copy of the *Twelfth Night* if anyone had the fores
foresight to tape it. HBO informs me that they will not be showing TN again at
least until they finish the sequence. Since I was unable to sign up for
November and December I have missed MSND and TN. This month and next month they
are playing *Hamlet* and *Romeo and Juliet*. We will probably get HBO for these
two, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

Laurie E. Osborne

(2)---------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:           James Anderson <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Friday, 08 Jan 1993 10:14:14 CST
Subject: 3.0316  Taming of the Shrew in Film and Television
Comment:        RE: SHK 3.0316  Taming of the Shrew in Film and Television

Did anyone find a source for a video of the "Moonlighting" rendition of Shrew?
I would like to obtain one.

From:           John Cox <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Friday, 8 Jan 1993 14:29 EST
Subject: 4.0013  Q: Video Copyrights
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0013  Q: Video Copyrights

Luc,

The latest edition of *Lingua Franca* has an article about a scholar of
film who encountered the very problem you describe your colleague having.  He
simply assumed that the "fair use" rule applied in his case, implicitly chal-
lenging the copyright owners to do anything about it.  So far, as reported in
*Lingua Franca*, he is getting away with it.  Sorry I don't have the precise
reference at hand, but let me know if you want it.

John Cox