Make a Donation

Consider making a donation to support SHAKSPER.

Subscribe to Our Feeds

Current Postings RSS

Announcements RSS

Home :: Archive :: 1993 :: October ::
Re: Asimov's GUIDE
Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 632.  Thursday, 7 October 1993.
 
(1)     From:   James Schaefer <
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 >
        Date:   Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 09:58:18 -0400 (EDT)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE
 
(2)     From:   Robert Burke <BURKE@RCKHRST1.bitnet>
        Date:   Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 16:49:52 -0500 (CDT)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE
 
(3)     From:   William Godshalk <
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 >
        Date:   Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 21:07:15 -0400 (EDT)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE
 
 
(1)----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:           James Schaefer <
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 >
Date:           Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 09:58:18 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE
 
Three cheers for Kenneth Rothwell for admitting that he gleans ideas
and insights about Shakespeare wherever he can, including from biochemist/
mathematician/popular sci-fi writers!  We all want to promote
solid scholarship.  But as one of my two dissertation advisers told me,
everything is grist for the mill; and as the other one said, she rather
have a student with enthusiam that needs disciplining than a plodding,
unimaginative performer/scholar.  Amateurism in its basic sense
(loving what one does) is what got most of us into this business
in the first place, and we should encourage it in others.
 
Jim Schaefer

 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 
 
(2)----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:           Robert Burke <BURKE@RCKHRST1.bitnet>
Date:           Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 16:49:52 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE
 
I have always found Asimov a treasure-trove of answers to the questions
which most of us never think to ask - but which students are probably
asking.  For example:  I think he tells us how far Mantua is from Verona.
I have never cheked out his answer on a map, but I presume he is ac-
curate.  My students seem to value him, if only because he is a name
they recognize.  Glad to know someone else has found him interesting.
(3)----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:           William Godshalk <
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 >
Date:           Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 21:07:15 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE
 
Regarding Ken Rothwell's comments on Asimov, I've never used the Guide (but
I'll certainly check it out now). I was, however, at Asimov's talk at the MLA,
and I heartily agree with you: he was great. I went away with a new respect for
him.
 
Yours, Bill Godshalk
 

Other Messages In This Thread

©2011 Hardy Cook. All rights reserved.