1993

Q: Shakespeare in Watergate Haerings

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 636.  Thursday, 7 October 1993.

From:           Nate Johnson <LHT@CORNELLA>
Date:           Wednesday, 06 Oct 93 16:03:34 EDT
Subject:        Shakespeare in Watergate Query

Does anyone know how I can identify Shakespearean references (especially
Senator Ervin's) in the 12,000 pages of Watergate hearing transcript?
"Shakespeare," unlike "Ehrlichmann" is not one of the indexed categories.

Please reply privately unless your response is of general interest.

--Nate Johnson

Two Queries: A Name and Variorum Project

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 635.  Thursday, 7 October 1993.

(1)     From:   Herbert Donow <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Wednesday, 6 Oct 93 11:30:39 CST
        Subj:   Moor / Moro

(2)     From:   Ed Pechter <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 19:14:01 -0500 (EST)
        Subj:   [Variorum Editors]

From:           Herbert Donow <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Wednesday, 6 Oct 93 11:30:39 CST
Subject:        Moor / Moro

A recent note about moor-moro prompt me to ask the following: I have a student
named Mattimore.  Her family is from Ireland.  When I asked her if she traces
her lineage to Spain (Matamoros), she thought I must be crazy for asking?  Is
there anyone out there who knows about that name, or names like it?

Herb Donow
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale

From:           Ed Pechter <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 19:14:01 -0500 (EST)
Subject:        [Variorum Editors]

To Anyone Who Knows,

Who's in charge of the new new Variorum Shakespeare project,
and where can I reach them?  Since this is not of general
interest, feel free to write to me privately.  Many thanks.

Re: *Tempest* Videos

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 633.  Thursday, 7 October 1993.

(1)     From:   Jeff Nyhoff <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Wednesday, 6 Oct 93 07:43:06 -0700
        Subj:   [Re: *Tempest* Videos]

(2)     From:   Jean Peterson <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Wednesday, 6 Oct 1993 11:17:40 -0400
        Subj:   Re: SHK 4.0628  Re: *Tempest* Videos

(3)     From:   Mary Jane Miller <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Wednesday, 6 Oct 93 14:21:47 -0400
        Subj:   Re: SHK 4.0628  Re: *Tempest* Videos

From:           Jeff Nyhoff <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Wednesday, 6 Oct 93 07:43:06 -0700
Subject:        [Re: *Tempest* Videos]

I'm missing something: in a single sentence, Mr. Orgel dismisses "Prospero's
Books" from a consideration of productions of _The Tempest_, as if the reasons
for doing so should be obvious. Was this film collectively dismissed by this
discussion group upon its release?

In any case, I cannot agree.  I must argue that hypermedia treatments of
Shakespeare's plays (e.g. the MIT presentations at SAA last April), ultimately
approach a striking similarity to "Prospero's Books," and consequently I cannot
think of a more timely film for consideration in a Shakespeare course.

Regardless, can someone suggest where in the group archives I might find
previous discussion of the film?

Thanks,

Jeff Nyhoff
UC Berkeley

[To locate past discussions, I would suggest that you first search the four
indexes to the past discussions -- DISCUSS INDEX_1 (1990), DISCUSS INDEX_2
(1991), DISCUSS INDEX_3 (1992), DISCUSS INDEX_4 (1993).  After you have
the digest numbers, you can either order the appropriate monthly log or
use a gopher server to get to the Conference's LISTSERV ARCHIVES at the
University of Toronto to read the appropriate digests.  --HMC]

From:           Jean Peterson <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Wednesday, 6 Oct 1993 11:17:40 -0400
Subject: 4.0628  Re: *Tempest* Videos
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0628  Re: *Tempest* Videos

>Dear Gardner Campbell, The Tempest that you refer to is one of a series
>made by Bard Productions in rivalry with the BBC Shakespeare Plays. The
>release date I have is 1985. The big selling point was to use American
>actors whom American students could identify with. So far as I know the
>series was never completed, though about six exist, some well received
>others denounced.

Just another word about the Bard productions: there was a review of this
*Tempest* in *Shakespeare Film Newsletter* some years ago; I recall that
the critic made some intelligent associations between Zimbalist as Prospero
and the political climate of the '80's--Prospero for the Reagan Years!  (I
think there was also some reference to Zimbalist's association with the
religious right).  Afraid I can't give you the date of the issue, but maybe
you can track it down.

I have seen the Bard *Shrew*, and it is so awful it must be seen to
be believed.  Which is not to say it isn't food for thought--especially
since Bard sells itself as offering "definitive" versions of the plays as
pedagogical resource.

Jean Peterson
Bucknell University

From:           Mary Jane Miller <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Wednesday, 6 Oct 93 14:21:47 -0400
Subject: 4.0628  Re: *Tempest* Videos
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0628  Re: *Tempest* Videos

Has anyone mentioned the film made of Peter Brook's extraordinary workshop
on *The Tempest*, with Brook talking about his own vision. It is full of
vivid sound and physical imagery with a Japanese Ariel in kimono, everyone
else in blacks, done in, on and around an audience seated on scaffolding
and on a bare platform. The only props which I remember are a set of
coloured scarfs used at the end. Actors names elude me but I could check an
off-air tape of it after [the Canadian] Thanksgiving coming up. Whether
it's available on video I don't know - but it does provoke some interesting
discussion in class when I have used it.  As much for what Brook said
about the play as for his realization of it. I would guess that the time it
was made is the early 70's.

I'll dig further if anyone needs to know more.

Mary Jane Miller,
Dept. of Film Studies, Dramatic and Visual Arts,
Brock University,
St. Catharines, Ontario,
Canada, L2S 3A1.
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re: Adaptations: Smiley's *Acres*

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 634.  Thursday, 7 October 1993.

(1)     From:   Katy Egerton <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Wednesday, 06 Oct 93 14:28 EDT
        Subj:   Re: Adaptations - Jane Smiley's _A Thousand Acres_

Date:   Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 19:14:01 -0500 (EST)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 4.0631  Q: Adaptations of Shakespeare

From:           Katy Egerton <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Wednesday, 06 Oct 93 14:28 EDT
Subject:        Re: Adaptations - Jane Smiley's _A Thousand Acres_

Smiley's _A Thousand Acres_ recasts the Lear story in the Iowa farm
crisis of the early 1980's.  Ginny (Goneril) is the principle
speaker, and her telling of the tale highlights, among other things,
an intriguing reading of the play in terms of gender.

Cordelia is almost a non-presence, Lear an abusive father, etc..
I've been a fan of Smiley's for a long time, and while I prefer her
novellas ("The Age of Grief" and _Ordinary Love & Good Will_), I
thought that _ATA_ deserved its Pulitzer.

In terms of studying the links with/departures from Lear, what about
the "punishments" - the blinding of Gloucester (ammonia poisioning)
and Rose's (Reagan's) breast cancer interested me specifically.

cheerio - Kate Egerton  (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)

Date:           Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 19:14:01 -0500 (EST)
Subject: 4.0631  Q: Adaptations of Shakespeare
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0631  Q: Adaptations of Shakespeare

To Cora Eng,

I wouldn't get hung up on *A Thousand Acres* as an "adaptation" of *King Lear*;
"adaptation" suggests that Smiley was based in *Lear* when writing her novel,
but it seems to me the other way round.  The novel has its own concerns and
energy and makes use of *Lear* to suggest resonances of the heroic and mythic:
this book isn't limited to The Fate of the Family Farm. Would you really want
to get into specific similarities between, say, Gloucester and the other farmer
who gets blinded?  You COULD do that, if you wanted to, but I don't think it
would be very useful.  On the other hand, if that's what your prof wants . . .
Good luck.

Re: Asimov's GUIDE

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 632.  Thursday, 7 October 1993.

(1)     From:   James Schaefer <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 09:58:18 -0400 (EDT)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE

(2)     From:   Robert Burke <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 16:49:52 -0500 (CDT)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE

(3)     From:   William Godshalk <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 21:07:15 -0400 (EDT)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE

From:           James Schaefer <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 09:58:18 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE

Three cheers for Kenneth Rothwell for admitting that he gleans ideas
and insights about Shakespeare wherever he can, including from biochemist/
mathematician/popular sci-fi writers!  We all want to promote
solid scholarship.  But as one of my two dissertation advisers told me,
everything is grist for the mill; and as the other one said, she rather
have a student with enthusiam that needs disciplining than a plodding,
unimaginative performer/scholar.  Amateurism in its basic sense
(loving what one does) is what got most of us into this business
in the first place, and we should encourage it in others.

Jim Schaefer

From:           Robert Burke <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 16:49:52 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE

I have always found Asimov a treasure-trove of answers to the questions
which most of us never think to ask - but which students are probably
asking.  For example:  I think he tells us how far Mantua is from Verona.
I have never cheked out his answer on a map, but I presume he is ac-
curate.  My students seem to value him, if only because he is a name
they recognize.  Glad to know someone else has found him interesting.
From:           William Godshalk <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Wednesday, 06 Oct 1993 21:07:15 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0630  Q: Asimov's GUIDE

Regarding Ken Rothwell's comments on Asimov, I've never used the Guide (but
I'll certainly check it out now). I was, however, at Asimov's talk at the MLA,
and I heartily agree with you: he was great. I went away with a new respect for
him.