Home :: Archive :: 1993 :: September ::
Re: Jewish Stereotypes; Sly and Induction
Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 4, No. 554.  Wednesday, 15 Sept. 1993.

(1)     From:   Jay L Halio <
        Date:   Tuesday, 14 Sep 1993 10:50:48 -0400 (EDT)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 4.0542 Jewish Stereotypes

(2)     From:   Dennis Kennedy <
        Date:   Tuesday, 14 Sep 1993 19:47 EST
        Subj:   Re: SHK 4.0539  Re: Christopher Sly and Induction

(3)     From:   Nate Johnson <LHT@CORNELLA>
        Date:   Tuesday, 14 Sep 93 20:52:18 EDT
        Subj:   *Taming of the Shrew* Induction

From:           Jay L Halio <
Date:           Tuesday, 14 Sep 1993 10:50:48 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: 4.0542 Jewish Stereotypes
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0542 Jewish Stereotypes

> Some months ago, there was a discussion of Shylock and Co. which I have no
> desire to reopen, but suddenly I find myself in need as quickly as possible of
> all possible sources on Jewish stereotypes in the late middle ages and
> Renaissance. I'd welcome help here.  Can you lead me to primary and secondary
> sources that will help inform a panel I have been asked by the Hartford Stage
> Co. to lead on stereotypes (Hartford Stage is, guess what, doing The Merchant
> of Venice). Thanks.
> Milla Riggio

See John Gross's book, *Shylock*, recently published. My edtion of
*Merchant* is imminent from Oxford U.P. and has some useful info, too.

Jay Halio

From:           Dennis Kennedy <
Date:           Tuesday, 14 Sep 1993 19:47 EST
Subject: 4.0539  Re: Christopher Sly and Induction
Comment:        Re: SHK 4.0539  Re: Christopher Sly and Induction

It's reasonably common now to open with the Sly Induction.  Then, three
choices: use the material from Taming of A Shrew that follows Sly through;
rewrite that material or write new stuff; forget about Sly textually and
leave him on stage, or bring him back on stage occasionally, as a mute
commentator.  Or, as Bogdanov did in 1977, turn him into the Petruchio.

The stage histories by Holderness and by Haring Smith will fill in some
detail.  For an overview, look at Samuel Leiter's Shakespeare Around the
Globe, which give capsule treatments for the period 1945-85.

Hello, Ron.

From:           Nate Johnson <LHT@CORNELLA>
Date:           Tuesday, 14 Sep 93 20:52:18 EDT
Subject:        *Taming of the Shrew* Induction

Two or three years ago I saw a touring production by (I think) the
National Shakespeare Company which staged both the Induction and
a contrived conclusion.  The setting, Wells College, made the play's
gender dynamics all the more poignant.  If memory serves, Sly roamed
the audience during scene changes (or was it only during intermission)
and as the spectators near him grew aware of his belching, snoring
presence, a ripple of laughter would spread from wherever he happened
to sit down.  I don't think the other characters from the Induction
returned to stage (probably doubled parts, but I've lost the program)
except to intervene when Sly interrupted the Vincentio/Merchant scene
with "There'll be no going to prison here."  At the end of the play,
Sly woke up by himself (echoes of Bottom) and delivered a speech on
his amazing dream: "I dreamt I was in a college of women who admired me..."
(much laughter).  I'm sorry my memory isn't more detailed.

--Nate Johnson