Home :: Archive :: 1994 :: February ::
Re: First Times with Shakespeare (Introductory
Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 5, No. 0155. Saturday, 26 February 1994.

(1)     From:   Barbara Simerka <

Date:   Friday, 25 Feb 1994 10:33:24 -0500 (EST)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 5.0153  Q: Introductory Experiences with Shakespeare

(2)     From:   Fran Teague <
        Date:   Friday, 25 Feb 94 10:45:44 EST
        Subj:   Re: SHK 5.0153  Q: Introductory Experiences with Shakespeare

(3)     From:   Terence Martin <STSMART@UMSLVMA>
        Date:   Friday, 25 Feb 94 12:08:43 CST
        Subj:   Introductory Experience

(4)     From:   Patricia Palermo <PPALERMO@DREW.BITNET>
        Date:   Friday, 25 Feb 1994 13:18:55 -0400 (EDT)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 5.0153  Q: Introductory Experiences with Shakespeare

(5)     From:   Elise Earthman <
        Date:   Friday, 25 Feb 1994 14:52:30 -0800 (PST)
        Subj:   Re: Introductory Experiences with Shakespeare

From:           Barbara Simerka <

Date:           Friday, 25 Feb 1994 10:33:24 -0500 (EST)
Subject: 5.0153  Q: Introductory Experiences with Shakespeare
Comment:        Re: SHK 5.0153  Q: Introductory Experiences with Shakespeare

A friend of mine who is not on the system asked me to pass along the info.
that her father (an English teacher) read a kid's version of Shakespeare's
tragedies to her at bed time in place of fairy tales.  Is there a
psychoanalytic connection here -- fathers and daughters and Shakespeare?

Barbara Simerka

From:           Fran Teague <
Date:           Friday, 25 Feb 94 10:45:44 EST
Subject: 5.0153  Q: Introductory Experiences with Shakespeare
Comment:        Re: SHK 5.0153  Q: Introductory Experiences with Shakespeare

My first Shakespearean production was also MND.  My mother was an actress and
when a production came to town, she decided to take my sister (age 3) and me
(age 4) to see it.  We were carefully prepared for it (or so goes the family
story) and enjoyed it thoroughly.  In the taxi on the way home, however, a
major battle erupted because both of us thought Bottom was the best stuffed
animal we had ever seen and wanted to claim him as a future husband.

I have no memory of this episode, but when I directed MND a couple of years ago
I did cast my husband as Bottom--just to be on the safe side.

From:           Terence Martin <STSMART@UMSLVMA>
Date:           Friday, 25 Feb 94 12:08:43 CST
Subject:        Introductory Experience

Ms. Rowland does indeed have an interesting point.  What is it that sparks such
universal (oops!)and personally powerful interest in Shakespeare's work?  In my
own case, that first intense experience came from a school organized trip to a
local cinema to see Olivier's *Henry V*.  At age twelve, I expected nothing
more than an afternoon away from the classroom; instead I became totally
immersed in the film which allowed free rein to my imagination.  On any future
occasion, I knew I would be sure to be there on Saint Crispin's Day.

Though the then recent atmosphere of World War II was doubtless influential and
while I may now have a more jaundiced and critical view of that production, I
will never forget its stimulus to my later enjoyment of Shakespeare.

From:           Patricia Palermo <PPALERMO@DREW.BITNET>
Date:           Friday, 25 Feb 1994 13:18:55 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: 5.0153  Q: Introductory Experiences with Shakespeare
Comment:        Re: SHK 5.0153  Q: Introductory Experiences with Shakespeare

I owe my getting "hooked" on Shakespeare not only to the bard himself, but
to Professor Kay Stanton at California State University, Fullerton, who
helped to make the printed page come alive for me when I was an undergraduate.

Patricia Palermo

(5)----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:           Elise Earthman <
Date:           Friday, 25 Feb 1994 14:52:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject:        Re: Introductory Experiences with Shakespeare

I discovered Shakespeare when I was about 11 years old.  My mother had an
old, brown collected works with Shakespeare's picture embossed on the
cover that she'd used in high school--this has always puzzled me, since
she went to a vocational high school.  I guess our educational system
*has* gone down since then! =-) Though this book had not a single gloss on
any word, my young imagination sucked it up like a sponge, and I spent
many happy hours memorizing speeches and acting them out in front of the
mirror. (My father was an actor, so I had the bug.) When I mentioned this
story to a high school class I was visiting, one voice popped up from the
back and said, "Dr. Earthman, were you a nerd?"  Yes, I guess I was.

The wonderful end to this story is that the tattered copy of this book sat
on my desk at school for many years, with the binding in shreds, the
cover attached only by a small thread.  My husband asked one day if he
could borrow the book to do a little reading, but he secretly took it to
a custom book bindery and had it lovingly restored.   I don't know how
much this book was worth in 1937, but it is priceless to me now.

Elise Earthman