1994

Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 5, No. 0165.  Tuesday, 1 March 1994.

(1)     From:   Hilary Thimmesh <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Monday, 28 Feb 1994 10:12:59 -0600 (CST)
        Subj:   first times

(2)     From:   James Schaefer <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Monday, 28 Feb 1994 11:03:05 -0500 (EST)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 5.0158  Re: First Times with Shakespeare

(3)     From:   Kevin Berland <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
        Date:   Monday, 28 Feb 94 16:43 EST
        Subj:   Re: SHK 5.0158  Re: First Times with Shakespeare

From:           Hilary Thimmesh <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Monday, 28 Feb 1994 10:12:59 -0600 (CST)
Subject:        first times

As a college freshman I played Osric--a role I spent the rest of my college
years living down--and served as a sort of stage manager for a student pro-
duction of *Hamlet*.  The only excuse for attempting the play was that Hamlet
had been reincarnated as a sophomore at St. John's that year.  Gerry Potter was
tall, dark, introspective, intellectual, and he had the voice to go with the
role.  When it was all over I was hooked on Shakespeare's language forever.

Hilary Thimmesh

From:           James Schaefer <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Monday, 28 Feb 1994 11:03:05 -0500 (EST)
Subject: 5.0158  Re: First Times with Shakespeare
Comment:        Re: SHK 5.0158  Re: First Times with Shakespeare

"I an itchy palm?" is just as bad as "Fly, Fleance," and did nothing
to endear _my_ high school class to Shakespeare.  I got hooked in the
summer of 68 when the senior member of the English Dept. at Beloit,
the late Bernie Morrissey, let a doctoral student who was on
a temporary appointment teach "his" Shakespeare course.  Somehow I
never finished a single play, but she got me hooked on digging into
the language.

Her name was Alison Sulloway.  If anyone knows where she may have
wound up, I'd appreciate a private mail note.

Jim Schaefer
(202) 687-4478

From:           Kevin Berland <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Monday, 28 Feb 94 16:43 EST
Subject: 5.0158  Re: First Times with Shakespeare
Comment:        Re: SHK 5.0158  Re: First Times with Shakespeare

In grade 11 in Regina, we had a new teacher, Miss Thorfinsson, who seemed
to be a promising target for classroom tormenting.  She fooled us all.
We were issued bowdlerized copies of Macbeth, and she spent the first
class dictating the passages (the Porter, Lady M's "my woman's breasts,"
&c.) the schoolbook publishers had suppressed.  What a great human being!
What a brave woman.  Inspiring, no?  Nobody messed with Miss T.  (This was