Home :: Archive :: 1994 :: December ::
WWW Site; Fate in Rom; NYC Mac; Zeffereli Ado
Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 5, No. 1008. Thursday, 15 December 1994.

(1)     From:   Paul Lord <
        Date:   Wednesday, 14 Dec 94 11:13:02 EST
        Subj:   WWW site

(2)     From:   Phyllis Rackin <
        Date:   Wednesday, 14 Dec 1994 12:27:16 -0500 (EST)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 5.1006  Role of Fate in *Rom.*

(3)     From:   Patricia Palermo <
        Date:   Wednesday, 14 Dec 1994 12:31:43 -0500 (EST)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 5.1000  Assorted *Macbeth* Items

(4)     From:   Milla Riggio <
        Date:   Thursday, 15 Dec 1994 02:17:24 -0500 (EST)
        Subj:   Re: SHK 5.0993

From:           Paul Lord <
Date:           Wednesday, 14 Dec 94 11:13:02 EST
Subject:        WWW site

Hardy and SHAKSPER members,

I am in the process of transferring and converting the SHAKSPER list archives
to HTML, for inclusion on an "Elizabethan/Jacobean Drama page" which will run
on sunsite.unc.edu.  I'd call it the Shakespeare Page, but there are already
several of those, and I see a need for a page to address other issues and
authors of the period.  I hope to have this done on or around Jan. 1, and to
include the ability to perform a full text search on the archives.

Currently, I'm working on the following:

* The SHAKSPER mailing list archives.
* Pointers to online texts and related Web pages.
* A description of all related mailing lists, possibly with hotlinks which
  would mail off the appropriate "subscribe" message when selected.

What else would be appropriate?  An area for contributed papers? I welcome your
suggestions.

Regards,
Paul

From:           Phyllis Rackin <
Date:           Wednesday, 14 Dec 1994 12:27:16 -0500 (EST)
Subject: 5.1006  Role of Fate in *Rom.*
Comment:        Re: SHK 5.1006  Role of Fate in *Rom.*

> From:           Rose McManus <

Last week a lively, and occasionally heated
> exchange focused on the role of fate vs. cultural and historic contexts in
> producing the bittersweet outcome of Romeo & Juliet.
> The reading I've done over the years suggests that this may be a tired topic
> for scholars.  Still, I'd love to receive thoughtful comments on the matter
> from any interested parties.

Have you seen Dympna Callaghan's chapter, "The Ideology of Romantic love: The
Case of Romeo and Juliet," in *The Weyward sisters: Shakespeare and Feminist
Politics* (Blackwell, 1994)? I think it's the best (most exciting, most
convincing, most illuminating) analysis I've read in many years.

From:           Patricia Palermo <
Date:           Wednesday, 14 Dec 1994 12:31:43 -0500 (EST)
Subject: 5.1000  Assorted *Macbeth* Items
Comment:        Re: SHK 5.1000  Assorted *Macbeth* Items

I was interested in Bernice Kliman's post regarding the NYC Macbeth because I
will be going to see it this weekend, and before I go I have a question.  A
local paper says that there is much nudity in the production, and that it is a
"most unusual take on an old play."  Can Ms. Kliman, or other subscribers in
the know, tell me more?

Thanks,
Patricia Palermo

From:           Milla Riggio <
Date:           Thursday, 15 Dec 1994 02:17:24 -0500 (EST)
Subject: 5.0993
Comment:        Re: SHK 5.0993

Dear Matthew Hennerson:

Indeed in what now seems to have been my infancy (but may have been an early
dotage) I saw the Zefferelli MUCH ADO, I believe, in `65 (senility ?).  From
this far away vantage point, I remember Dogberry as very good, not because of
voices and accents but because he was accompanied by a kind of Sicilian street
band of musicians, who I thought were terrific.  I also remember statues coming
to life around the corners of fountains, and not much about acting at all.  But
I do remember thinking it was quite wonderful.

Did I dream it all?