Home :: Archive :: 1994 :: November ::
Re: Cheek by; H7 Play; Jacobi Hamlet; Multimedia Prod.
Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 5, No. 0888.  Saturday, 5 November 1994.

(1)     From:   Scott Crozier <

(4)     From:   Mary Ellen Zurko <
        Date:   Friday, 4 Nov 94 11:57:35 EST
        Subj:   Multimedia Shakespeare

From:           Scott Crozier <
Date:           Thursday, 03 Nov 1994 18:45:26 +1000
Subject: 5.0837  Re: Cheek by Jowl
Comment:        Re: SHK 5.0837  Re: Cheek by Jowl

I too saw Cheek by Jowl's MM earlier this year, in Perth Australia and I must
say, I found it a focused, thoughtful and honest production which dealt with
the problems of Isabella's characterer and her relationships with Claudio, the
Duke and Angelo with a freshness lost in many that I have seen. I have also
seen Cheek by Jowl's AYLI, this time 3 years ago in Adelaide. I am sorry that
it seems to have become a parody of what that production originally was. When I
saw it, I began to understand the complexity of Jacques character and his
relationship with Rosalind. This was subtley developed in this all male
production. I have been fan of the company since I saw their MND and then TN in
1986.  I had the priviledge to interview Delan Donnellan this year for work
that I am doing for a thesis on MND and found him to be passionate, intelligent
and very creative. I just hope not all SHAKSPEReans saw the recent American
tour in such a dim light.

Yours ever
Scott Crozier

From:           Jung Jimmy <
Date:           Thursday, 03 Nov 94 09:32:00 PST
Subject: 5.0870  Off the Beaten Path
Comment:        RE: SHK 5.0870  Off the Beaten Path

As I recall, somewhere in the Stradford Papers there was an essay titled
"Why Shakespeare didn't write a Henry VII."  I only glanced at it, so I'm
foggy, but I thought the decision was attributed to the possibility of a
Henry VII play upsetting the current ruling family rather that a simple lack
of interesting material.

jimmy jung

From:           Leslie Harris <
Date:           Thursday, Nov 03 14:45:33 EST 1994
Subject: 5.0868  Re: Jacobi Hamlet;
Comment:        Re: SHK 5.0868  Re: Jacobi Hamlet;

> Just a moment of pleasurable recollection brought on by Marcia Hepps's
> mention of Derek Jacobi's performance in the BBC production of *Hamlet*: I
> had always heard in my head that line from the "no more marriages" speech as
> "IT hath MADE me MAD", but Jacobi (embracing Ophelia during the last part of
> his rant) looks up startled, as if in sudden realization, and over Ophelia's
> shoulder gasps "it HATH made me mad."  Brilliant I thought at the time, but
> I haven't seen it since to confirm my first impression.

I'm afraid I accidentally deleted the name of the Shaksperean who said this,
but I wanted to say that I totally agree with you (although I remember Derek
Jacobi's emphasis slightly differently--with an emphasis on "MAD" as well as
the discovery part of "HATH")--but then again memory is notoriously fickle.

I too noticed Derek Jacobi's reading of the line: a surprised acknowledgment
on Hamlet's part that he is acting a little crazy, especially with Ophelia.
It's a great middle ground to the question of Hamlet's insanity.  Perhaps he
is crafty mad with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, Polonius, and Claudius, but
with Ophelia he is pretty disturbed.  Definitely a brilliant interpretation on
Jacobi's part.

Leslie Harris

From:           Mary Ellen Zurko <
Date:           Friday, 4 Nov 94 11:57:35 EST
Subject:        Multimedia Shakespeare

There was a production of Julius Caesar in Stratford, CT sometime in the
mid-80's that used video to good effect during the speaches over the grave
scene. The analogy of Brutus and Antony to modern politicians convincing the
masses was more immediate because of the familiar (to people like me) vision of
a politico on at TV screen.

Mez