Home :: Archive :: 1994 :: November ::
Qs: RSC 1990 *Lear*; *Othello* Prods.; Marlowe; E-Mail
Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 5, No. 0910. Thursday, 10 November 1994.

(1)     From:   Roberta Barker <

Date:   Wednesday, 9 Nov 1994 21:31:18 -0500
        Subj:   E-Mail Address

From:           Roberta Barker <
Date:           Wednesday, 09 Nov 1994 13:13:05 -0400
Subject:        RSC King Lear, 1990

I'm looking for reviews of/commentary on the RSC's 1990 *King Lear* (that is,
the one before last, I think...).  Would there be any discussion of this
production in the SHAKSPER index, or is it too early?  I would be most grateful
if anyone who saw this production could e-mail me (privately, if you prefer); I
am particularly interested in the interpretations of Edmund and Edgar.  Thanks
very much.

Yours,
Roberta Barker, University of King's College, Halifax
e-mail:

From:           Melissa Aaron <
Date:           Wednesday, 9 Nov 1994 11:21:30 +0200
Subject:        Re: Othello productions

I am currently working on 20th century productions of *Othello*, starting with
Stanislavsky and the Moscow Art Theater.  I'm especially interested in
directorial choices, etc.  While I'm working on the material from landmark
productions, I'd be especially interested in hearing about recent (last ten
years) productions of interest.  Anybody who has suggestions can reply to me
privately at

Thanks!
Melissa Aaron
University of Wisconsin-Madison

From:           Allison S. Bartlett <
Date:           Wednesday, 09 Nov 94 13:52:17 PST
Subject:        Marlowe's Orientation

Apologies to the list, but I've not been able to discover an answer.

Prior to launching into a discussion of Marlowe's "The Passionate Shepherd to
His Love," one of my students announced to the class that another professor
had pronounced Marlowe gay, and that his lover was Kyd.  I know they were at
one time roommates . . . is it common opinion that they were lovers?

Thanks for your help.  Please reply to me directly:

Allison S. Bartlett

From:           David M. Levine <
Date:           Wednesday, 9 Nov 1994 21:31:18 -0500
Subject:        E-Mail Address

Just a question you might know the answer to:

Do you know where I can find an e-mail address for Miriam Gilbert, who runs the
summer institute at Stratford-on-Avon.  She teaches at Iowa, and is an old
friend from England we lost track of when our mutual friend died last year....

If you know it, please send it to me....

Thanks.