Shakespeare Electronic Conference, Vol. 7, No. 0021. Monday, 8 January 1996.
Date: Monday, January 8, 1996
Subject: 6.0956 Book Announcement: Trial Posting
Comment: Re: SHK 6.0956 Book Announcement: Trial Posting
On Saturday, December 9, 1996, I sent out a digest labeled "Book Announcement:
Trial Posting" and wrote
>[SHAKSPEReans: I am posting the following to determine, in part, how the
>membership feels about the inclusion of Book Announcement postings. I will
>consider ALL responses to this request to be personal mail to me; I will
>reflect upon those responses; and then I will announce whether or not such
>postings will appear in the future. -- Hardy M. Cook, Editor]
I received many responses -- both pro and con -- and I have reflected and
decided to allow book announcement with the following stipulations suggested
to me by those who responded. All such annoucements
1) will be identified in the subject line as Book Announcement(s): NAME OF
2) should be brief, informative, descriptive, Shakespeare-related, and
3) should include title, publisher, date, subject,
4) should come from authors NOT publishers,
5) should NOT be promotional, and
6) will be grouped together when possible and only be announced on an
With these stipulations, book announcements are now acceptable.
Let me conclude by adding that one respondent hoped that book announcements
might encourage book reviews, I also encourage book reviews but will be
vigilant about "hidden agendas."