The Shakespeare Conference: SHK 12.1450 Monday, 11 June 2001
Date: Saturday, 09 Jun 2001 07:09:39 -0700
Subject: Festschrift Announcement: Essays to Honour Paul G. Stanwood
Announcing . . .
Wrestling with God
Literature & Theology in the English Renaissance
Essays to Honour Paul Grant Stanwood
Edited by Mary Ellen Henley and W. Speed Hill
with the assistance of R.G. Siemens
Early Modern Literary Studies Special Issue 7 (May, 2001)
** Available at: http://purl.oclc.org/emls/si-07/si-07toc.htm
Paul Stanwood's Bread. A poem by X. J. Kennedy.
* Wrestling with God: Introduction. . Mary Ellen Henley,
University of British Columbia.
* Donne, Herbert, and the Worm of Controversy. . Louis L.
Martz, Yale University.
* "The Virtue and Discipline" of Wrestling with God [Henry
Vaughan and Lord Herbert of Cherbury]. . John T.
Shawcross, University of Kentucky.
* The Core of Elizabethan Religion. . John E. Booty,
Historiographer of the Episcopal Church, USA.
* W[illiam] S[hakespeare]'s A Funeral Elegy and the Donnean
Moment. . Claude J. Summers, University of
* The Devotional Flames of William Austin. . Graham
Parry, University of York.
* John Donne's "Lamentations" and Christopher Fetherstone's
Lamentations . . . in prose and meeter (1587). .
Ted-Larry Pebworth, University of Michigan-Dearborn.
* "The strangest pageant, fashion'd like a court": John Donne
and Ben Jonson to 1600 -- Parallel Lives. . William F.
Blissett, University College, University of Toronto.
* "I launch at paradise and saile toward home": The Progresse
of the Soule as Palinode. . Wyman H. Herendeen,
University of Houston.
* "I have often such a sickly inclination": Biography and the
Critical Interpretation of Donne's Suicide Tract,
Biathanatos. . R. G. Siemens, Malaspina
* "Witness this Booke, (thy Embleme)": Donne's Holy Sonnets
and Biography. . Diana Trevi