The Shakespeare Conference: SHK 16.2039 Friday, 9 December 2005
From: Peter Farey <
Date: Thursday, 8 Dec 2005 18:05:36 -0000
Subject: 16.2006 Henry IV MS?
Comment: Re: SHK 16.2006 Henry IV MS?
The problem with the original is that, because it was found being used
as an end-paper for another publication, most of the left-hand margin
(and therefore any speech headings) have been destroyed. Perhaps it
might help if I offer my best attempt at recreating what the original
might have been, with spelling and punctuation modernized.
1. Had it it not been at this gentleman's request
2. I would not have taken it
3. Therefore I am much beholding to you, sir.
4. But what is to pay?
5. Sixpence, and you are welcome.
6. We'll pay thee when we do return again.
7. As you please, Mr George.
8. I'll take your word for more than that comes to.
9. [aside] Now you may see I may be credited -
10. This honest boon companion tells me so!
11. [to Landlord] I will requite thee good fellow,
12. If that these hands & blade of mine do last
13.  being
16. No, no, I warrant you he is in the house
17. and I will send him packing presently.
18. Come, let us haste to watch his passing by.
19. But do you hear, Mr George?
20. You will remember me.
21. We shall see you again soon.
22. Well, sir? Exit
23. [to Landlord, off] I I warrant you would!
24. But not one cross of silver that thou gettest
25. [Even] if thou dost chop off this head of mine
26. to make a bottle or a football of!
27. Did I not gull him finely of his beer?
28. In faith, most gallantly.
29. But is he not acquainted with thee well?
30. I never saw him in my life before
31. But once, at Shoreditch in a bawdy house.
32. What dam-bred whores they be to tell my name!
33. Before the Lord, I'll slit their noses off!
S H A K S P E R: The Global Shakespeare Discussion List
Hardy M. Cook,
The S H A K S P E R Web Site <http://www.shaksper.net>
DISCLAIMER: Although SHAKSPER is a moderated discussion list, the
opinions expressed on it are the sole property of the poster, and the
editor assumes no responsibility for them.