The Shakespeare Conference: SHK 19.0303 Tuesday, 20 May 2008
From: William Sutton <
Date: Monday, 19 May 2008 14:36:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 19.0300 Extant Copies of the Q1609 Sonnets
Comment: Re: SHK 19.0300 Extant Copies of the Q1609 Sonnets
Hardy, thanks very much for your LONG note it prompted me to go find the
different facsimiles and so far there are four different e-versions
linked to copies of Q1609 Sonnets:
The Bodleian: Malone 34
The British Library: Greville 11181
So that takes care of collating the Aspley Imprint.
Now the Wright imprint...
However, the tally remains according to Hardy's site:
'We cannot determine how many copies were printed, but thirteen are extant:
1. British Museum (Greville 11181)
2. Bodleian Library (Malone 34)
3. The Huntington Library (Chalmers-Bridgewater)
4. Folger Library (Jolley-Utterson-Tite-Locker-Lampson)
1. The Bodleian Library (Caldecott, Malone 886)
2. The British Museum (B. H. Bright, C.21.c.44)
3. The John Rylands Library (Farmer-Earl Spencer)
4. The Elizabethan Club, Yale (Bentinck-Huth)
5. The Huntington Library
6. The Folger Library (Sir Henry St. John Mildmay)
7. S. W. Rosenbach's private library (Lord Caledon)
Without Title Page
1. The Trinity College, Cambridge, Library (Capell Collection)
2. The Harvard University Library (W. A. White)
(Cf. Rollins 2.1-2) '
If anyone has a link to online facsimiles of the Title-Pages of the
published Quartos I'd be grateful for some pointers.
[Editor Note: I do not know of any more links, but Elizabethan Club
edition of Shakespeare's Poems (New Haven: Yale University Press for the
Elizabethan Club, 1964) contains a copy of the Wright imprint number 4:
The Elizabethan Club, Yale (Bentinck-Huth). -HMC]
S H A K S P E R: The Global Shakespeare Discussion List
Hardy M. Cook,
The S H A K S P E R Web Site <http://www.shaksper.net>
DISCLAIMER: Although SHAKSPER is a moderated discussion list, the
opinions expressed on it are the sole property of the poster, and the
editor assumes no responsibility for them.