Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
The Shakespeare Conference: SHK 20.0082 Sunday, 1 March 2009
Date: Sunday, March 01, 2009
Subject: Instructions for Accessing Folger Library Digital Image
Instructions for Accessing Folger Library Digital Image Collection
(Shakespeare Quartos Archive)
In the previous SHAKSPER digest, I provided information about the Folger
Shakespeare Library's Digital Image Collection and in particular its
collaboration with Oxford University and others to establish the
Shakespeare Quartos Archive. In this digest, I will provide instructions
for accessing those collections.
To begin, open browser at Folger Shakespeare Library: http://www.folger.edu/
Select Use the Collection (Slightly to the left of the Middle of the
Select Digital Image Collection from list of choices to the left (a sort
of table of contents for Use the Collection).
The first choice below Digital Image Collection Access the Digital
Collection is a section explaining Accessing Digital Images where you
learn that "There are two ways to explore our Digital Image Collection."
If you plan extensively to explore the resources, I would suggest that
you download the Luna Insight program. If you will only be taking a
short visit or two, then follow the directions for accessing the
resources with your web browser.
To Use Your Web Browser
You may use your web browser (be sure to turn off popup blockers), which
provides access to the collection through an interface called Browser
Insight(r) that is convenient, but limited in features.
Copy and paste this Browser Insight URL into your favorite web browser,
or just click on the link:
Remember to turn off pop-up blockers!
To Explore Collection with Luna Insight (*The second best thing to be at
the library and getting all of the necessary permissions to handle these
rare materials -- not to trying to find a parking space on Capitol Hill.)
Instructions for Installing Luna Insight(r) Software on Your PC or Mac:
1. Luna Go to Luna Imaging <http://www.luna-imaging.com/>
2. Click Support at the upper right
3. Click Downloads
4. Select Download Now next to Insight v 6.0.1(00)
5. Select Download from the Insight 6 box
6. Under Insight (with no other wording), select your operating system
7. If you have a choice to download / save file or open, choose download
/ save file
8. An Install Insight icon appears on the desk top. Double click on the icon
9. If a Security Warning appears, click Run
10. Choose the Advanced option when it appears
11. Watch for the message Specify the URL / address for your
organization's Insight User Manager
12. Change the User Manager Address to titania.folger.edu
13. When prompted, select No, you are not upgrading (even if you are)
14. In Windows, a shortcut should install in a Luna Imaging folder in
the All Programs menu in your Start menu. Otherwise you can go to
C:\Program Files\LunaImaging\Insight 6.0 and find the application file
15. On a Mac, Luna Imaging is in the applications folder. The
application file is Insight 6.0
16. Log in using username <B>guest</B> & password <B>guest</B>
SOME USEFUL FILES (can be found next to instructions at the Folger site
-- I encourage you to download them and print them out for reference):
How to Access Folger Digital Image Collections in Insight
How to Access Digitized Pre-1640 Shakespeare Quartos from the Folger
I assume that not every subscriber to this list is as obsessive as I am,
but since I learned of the availability of these resources, I have been
so occupied with exploring the collection that it has been difficult to
complete these digests for distribution. I began with reacquainting
myself with the Aspley Imprint of SHAKE-SPEARES SONNETS 1609 (STC 22353)
that I examined in great detail years ago when I was preparing my
co-edited edition with Ian Lancashire.
This experience has reaffirmed an idea that I have been playing with for
a few days. See next digest for details.
S H A K S P E R: The Global Shakespeare Discussion List
The S H A K S P E R Web Site <http://www.shaksper.net>
DISCLAIMER: Although SHAKSPER is a moderated discussion list, the
opinions expressed on it are the sole property of the poster, and the
editor assumes no responsibility for them.