The Shakespeare Conference: SHK 24.0143 Thursday, 4 April 2013
Date: Monday, April 1, 2013 11:54 PM
Subject: CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: Global Shakespeares
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION!
Global Shakespeares, An Open-Access Digital Video Archive
Co-founded and co-edited by Peter Donaldson and Alexander Huang
Global Shakespeares is a free, open access collection of performance videos from around the world. We invite you to participate by using this archive in your teaching and research, and by contributing information and visual materials to the archive. Here you can find:
- A Brazilian street theatre version of Romeo and Juliet - on stilts
- A Chinese opera King Lear in which one actor plays Lear and his daughters
- A Japanese Hamlet who sits motionless on stage. Mechanical dolls enact his thoughts.
These are some of the innovative ideas in the current wave of breakthrough international productions made available through Global Shakespeares, a large and growing collection of videos from the Arab world, North America, the U.K., Western and Eastern Europe, the Scandinavia, Australia, New Zealand, India, East Asia, Mexico, Brazil, and Latin America.
Online learning modules: http://globalshakespeares.mit.edu/modules/
Contributors are encouraged to interpret this invitation geographically, historically, and culturally, including:
- Summaries of significant Shakespeare productions from all over the world
- Videos of performances of Shakespeare’s plays, with or without English subtitles
- Annotations and metadata
- Performance Reviews
- Interviews with directors and actors
- Scripts of Shakespeare adaptations
Download a “Global Shakespeares” Flyer here: pdf Flyer Global Shakespeares