The Shakespeare Conference: SHK 10.2136  Friday, 3 December 1999.

From:           Joanne Walen <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date:           Friday, 3 Dec 1999 12:57:51 EST
Subject:        Rhetoric: A Question

A colleague posed the following question, and I didn't have immediate
resources to hand. >>Do you know the name of the kind of dialogue that
is a "tennis volley" with a single line by each participant (usually
two) given in rapid succession?>>

I know there are rhetorial labels for every sort of construction, but I
don't remember the term for what she is describing. What comes to mind
as a example is  most of the exchange between Richard and Anne in RIII:
I.ii. I also recall this structure in Greek drama. Who can offer an
answer? (Perhaps it is so simple I will be embarrassed for having asked
the question.)

Many thanks.
Joanne Walen

Subscribe to Our Feeds


Make a Gift to SHAKSPER

Consider making a gift to support SHAKSPER.