The Shakespeare Conference: SHK 14.0184 Tuesday, 4 February 2003
Date: Monday, 03 Feb 2003 15:44:22 +0200
Subject: Extension: Call for Papers
THE SIXTH TRIENNIAL CONGRESS OF THE SHAKESPEARE SOCIETY OF SOUTHERN
'COLONIAL SHAKESPEARE: PERFORMANCE, TRANSLATION and RECEPTION"
June 25-28, 2003
GRAHAMSTOWN, Eastern Province, South Africa
A FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS
By request, the date for the receipt of Abstracts has been extended to
the 30 APRIL 2003. The Conference will interpret the term 'Colonial'
very broadly to include all cultural participation in the Shakespearean
diaspora. Papers are invited on the following topics:-
1) Comparative performance and production at different times and places;
2) The indigenisation of Shakespeare;
3) Colonial Shakespeare in film and television;
4) The Shakespeare text and colonial politics;
5) Shakespeare and the colonial book trade;
6) The colonial touring companies;
7) Shakespeare and colonial education;
8) Shakespeare reviewing in the colonies;
9) The influence of metropolitan Shakespeare companies on colonial
10) Other relevant topics.
Please send abstracts of approximately 250-500 words, giving the title
of the paper plus a short CV.
Those who wish to co-ordinate special interest sessions should notify
the convenor of the topic and participants.
PAPERS BY 31 MAY 2003
(Papers should be 30 minutes in length)
THE CONGRESS CONVENOR
c/o The Institute for the Study of English in Africa
Rhodes University, P O Box 94, GRAHAMSTOWN, 6140
FOR CONGRESS INFORMATION AND REGULAR UPDATES VISIT:-
Tel: +27 (0)46-603 8335, Fax: + 27 (0)46-603 8566
Tel: +27 (0)46-622 6093, Fax: +27 (0)46-603 8566
PLEASE NOTE: CONGRESS REGISTRATION FEE, DUE BY THE 15 MAY, 2003, IS
REQUIRED BY OUR BANK TO BE PAID ELECTRONICALLY SSOSA website:
S H A K S P E R: The Global Shakespeare Discussion List
The S H A K S P E R Web Site <http://www.shaksper.net>
DISCLAIMER: Although SHAKSPER is a moderated discussion list, the
opinions expressed on it are the sole property of the poster, and the
editor assumes no responsibility for them.