The Shakespeare Conference: SHK 14.0909 Monday, 12 May 2003
Date: Saturday, 10 May 2003 16:23:29 EDT
Subject: 14.0884 Top Tens!
Comment: Re: SHK 14.0884 Top Tens!
Top tens are always fun. Let's see...
Ten productions I wish I'd seen:
1. 1945-6 Old Vic "Henry IV" plays. Harold Bloom aside, Richardson's
Falstaff has to have been something else. And Olivier Hotspur/Shallow
as a bonus.
2. Brook's 1962 RSC "Lear" with Scofield.
3. Brook's 1970 RSC "Dream."
4. Kean in "Richard III."
5. John Hirsch's "Coriolanus" at the Globe Theatres in San Diego with
6. Morris Carnovsky as Shylock anywhere--American Shakespeare Theatre,
Globe Theatres, whatever.
7. Brook's 1950 "Measure for Measure" with Gielgud, Harry Andrews,
Barbara Jefford, etc.
8. Barton/Hall 1963 "Wars of the Roses."
9. Edwin Booth in "Hamlet."
10. Byam Shaw's 1955 RST "Macbeth" with Olivier.
Eleven finest productions (or performances) I have seen, in no
1. Terry Hands' 1983 RSC "Much Ado" with Jacobi and Sinead Cusack. (I
saw it at the Olympic Arts Festival in Los Angeles in 1984.)
2. Richard Eyre's 1997 RNT "King Lear" with Ian Holm.
3. 1990 Stratford, Ontario "As You Like It" set in the woods of
Colonial Quebec in the fall. My program is in storage, and I don't
remember who directed.
4. Mid 80's Globe Theatre, San Diego "Timon of Athens" with Jonathan
5. Mid 80's Globe Theatre, San Diego "Dream" with David Ogden Stiers,
Kathleen McGrath, and Tom Lacy.
6. Early 80's Globe Theatre, San Diego "Romeo and Juliet" with Tovah
7. Jack O'Brian's Globe Theatre "Antony and Cleopatra" with Robert
Foxworth and JoBeth Williams.
8. Roger Rees' 2001 Globe Theatre "Merry Wives" with Dakin Matthews.
9. Joanne Akalitis (sp?) 1989 New York Shakespeare Festival "Henry IV"
plays with Loius Zorich.
10. John Hirsch's (I think) 1985 Stratford, Ontario "Twelfth Night"
with Seanna McKenna, Nicholas Pennell, and James Blendick.
11. Robin Phillip's 1991 (I think) Stratford, Ontario "Timon of Athens"
with Brian Bedford.
Finally, eight first-rate productions in which I participated:
Matt Wilder's 1993 "Timon of Athens" at the Mandel Weiss Theatre (La
Jolla Playhouse proscenium space.) (Alcibiades)
Art Manke's 1997 "Winter's Tale" at A Noise Within. (US Camillo--five
Mark Rucker's 1992 "Macbeth" at Shakespeare Santa Cruz. (Bloody
Danny Scheie's 1992 "Shrew" at Shakespeare Santa Cruz. (Grumio)
Todd Salovey's 1995 "Hamlet" at the San Diego Repertory Theatre.
Patrick Page's 1998 "Twelfth Night" at the Warehouse Repertory Theatre.
Sacha Reich's 2000 "Winter's Tale" at Il Teatro 450 in San Francisco.
Brett Reynold's 2002 "Henry V" with the Independent Shakespeare Company
at the Odyssey Theatre in Los Angeles. (Canterbury/Constable/Gower)
Those are my lists.
S H A K S P E R: The Global Shakespeare Discussion List
The S H A K S P E R Web Site <http://www.shaksper.net>
DISCLAIMER: Although SHAKSPER is a moderated discussion list, the
opinions expressed on it are the sole property of the poster, and the
editor assumes no responsibility for them.